Home > Advice > Is there a law in the state of Oklahoma that requires doctors to treat pain adequately?

Is there a law in the state of Oklahoma that requires doctors to treat pain adequately?

February 10th, 2013

Query by Lynette: Is there a law in the state of Oklahoma that requires medical doctors to treat discomfort adequately?

I have fibromyalgia and each and every medical doctor I go to refuses to assist me with my soreness. This discomfort is fully existence altering soreness and I can no longer operate and my daughter has to aid me with all my pursuits of everyday residing. I know that pain medicine will assist me with some of this and make my lifestyle somewhat much more produtive.

Very best solution:

Answer by GramNegative
No- they use their very best judgement when identifying who demands it. I would attempt a ache management physician or someone who specializes in treating fibro. I would also propose retaining a ache journal every single day (maybe the dilemma lies with how you are talking to the physicians- not explaining how a lot ache you are in or how it’s affecting your existence). Good Luck

Give your response to this query below!

Be Sociable, Share!
  1. bryanna2711
    February 10th, 2013 at 10:35 | #1

    docs take the hippocratic oath which pertains to the ethical practice of medicine. it is not a law and not every doctor takes it anymore. doctors have the right to refuse treatment. i live in Texas and we have rheumatologist that will do pain management for your disease. since we are not that far from you maybe you should consider making the trip (even though I know how hard trips can be for you). Good Luck

  2. jt
    February 10th, 2013 at 10:58 | #2

    I live in Oklahoma also. I also have fibromyalgia. These tips may be helpful:

    1. Keep a daily Pain Journal. Use an image like this one http://www.spineuniverse.com/displaygraphic.php/336/fibromyalgia-UU.gif to indicate:
    a. Where you hurt that day.
    b. What the pain was on a scale of 1-10.
    c. What caused the pain.
    d. How long the pain lasted.
    Keep one page per day. Just saying, “I hurt all the time” isn’t enough for most physicians. They need to see a pattern.

    2. Find a rheumatologist. Rheumatologists have more understanding of fibromyalgia than general practitioners.

    3. Keep moving. Don’t stop. I often had to “exercise through the pain”, even if the exercise was just walking around the house.

    4. Some fibromyalgia sufferers find that avoiding artificial sweeteners helps stop their pain. If you use artificial sweetners, stop. It may make a difference.

    5. The FDA has recently approved Lyrica http://www.lyrica.com/content/fibro_homepage.jsp?setShowOn=../content/fibro_homepage.jsp&setShowHighlightOn=../content/fibro_homepage.jsp for fibromyalgia pain. You may want to read about it.

    The right rheumatologist can make a difference. If you have insurance, your insurer should have a list of rheumatologists, or you can ask your physician for a referral to one.

    Although I still have occasional fibromyalgia pain, I consider myself a “recovered fibromyalgist”!

Comments are closed.